[techtalk] Re: Upgrade time!

  • From: Dave Fisher <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:45:26 +0100

Hi Thomas,

On 07/06/2007, you wrote:

> Looks reasonable.  A quick glance at benchmarks suggest similar
> performance to my own card; a 7950GT, which is pretty decent.  It's also
> cheaper, otherwise I might suggest one (since XFX do some very nice
> passively cooled ones).

I hardly play any games these days, so I don't want anything too special, but
on the otherhand if I do decide to play something, I would like it to actually
be able to run :)

> Looks good, but beware using previous lack of problems to predict future
> performance; I've been through a few generations of Gigabyte, and I got
> rid of my last one (a S939 board) because I wasn't happy with the
> stability or design (really, are they so crap at designing power
> regulation circuitry that they need to spill it over to an add-on board
> to keep it vaguely stable?  Seems so).

I decided to stick with what I know :)

> Crucial is still a good name to stick with.

Yeah I always use Crucial, prices aren't too bad and again, never had any
problems (I'm probably jinxing myself now ;))

> If you hang on a few more months AMD should be putting out new parts
> which will hopefully be quite competitive with Core 2, but I expect
> they'll be a while before they get low end parts out.  I'm definately
> waiting, since I'm aiming for quad core for my next system.

Nah I went for the Core2Duo - if I don't get a new system now, I'll never do
it!

> At that age whatever is in there will be reaching the end of its design
> life anyway, so you might as well get it replaced.  I currently like
> Tagan after I lost a couple of Antec's to magic smoke escapes.

> That board as a 24 pin EATX socket on it, as most newer ones have, so
> you might need a new PSU anyway, though I think many (most?) of them can
> run off 20 pin connectors.

I went for a new PSU as well, got a Tagan unit which has all manner of pin
combinations for all types of boards, so I should be ok :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Best Regards,
Dave Fisher

--