[techtalk] Upgrade time!

  • From: Dave Fisher <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 20:16:55 +0100

Hello all,

I've finally decided to upgrade my PC again now I have a bit more time for it
at last. My current system is donkeys years old and I have totally lost touch
of everything out there. However, some quick reading up and some searches on
the ol' shopping sites, and I have come up with the following:

(Prices approx)

Sapphire ATI Radeon X1950PRO 512MB DDR3 Dual DVI/AVIVO (PCI-E) - Retail £130

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R Intel P35 (Socket 775) PCI-E DDR2 ATX Motherboard £85

Intel Core 2 DUO E6600 2.4GHz 'Conroe' 4Mb Cache LGA775 (1066 Mhz) - Retail £145

2GB kit (1GBx2), Ballistix Tracer 240-pin DIMM, DDR2 PC2-5300 memory module £90

Any comments ? I've stuck with what I know for the graphics card, mobo and RAM
(ie. ATI/Sapphire, Gigabit and Crucial) for the simple reason I have never had
any issues with any of their kit before, so they are all first choices. I've
finally switched back from AMD for the CPU as my P4 at work has been great for
the past few years, and these new fangled core-duo things seem to be all the
rage these days :)

My only concern is my PSU - there is nothing wrong with the one I have, but I
wonder if I might need more power and/or any extra cables to power the
graphics cards direct etc ? My system must be at least 4 years old, if not 6,
but I can't recall whats in there PSU wise.

Cheers as always!

Best Regards,
Dave Fisher

--