[techtalk] FTP connection issues

  • From: Greg Webb <greg.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techtalk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2007 12:25:22 +0000

Hi all

Having a bit of a problem with FTP over here on a couple of new servers I need access to.

I can connect to my NTL web space account and Photobox no problem. Everything else is failing though, and it seems unlikely that all the new servers have given me dodgy details. I've tried Windows Explorer's FTP, Filezilla and FireFTP. I've tried passive and active mode, bypassing the proxy or not. Consistently I can get through to the servers but the logins are being rejected. I'm not behind any hardware router or firewall, I'm going straight into the cable modem.

Any bright ideas? One duff login I'd believe, but a whole set seems implausible. And a firewall somewhere tripping over them I'd believe, but I'm getting the login message - it's just failing to connect. Odd.

Thanks,

Greg