Linux TCO < Windows TCO, so says Ballmer.

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2002 13:52:21 -0500

  At first I thought it was a joke page or something. But it's apparently
true, although Ballmer still hangs on to the notion that some how Windows is
worth more than Linux by virtue of features.

  Can the end be near?

  Their new page extolling the virtues of Windows over Linux however is still
a pack of lies.  Although I couldn't stand to read through all of it, in the
first part of the compairsons section they omit quit a bit of stuff.  Like PAM
w/ SMB authentication, LDAP, the fact that Novell has to want Linux to be a
trusted element in a NDS relationship, not Linux hackers inspite of
practically reverse engineering everything else about NDS, the fact that Linux
SMP outperforms Windows SMP, that Linux does far far more networking tricks
than windows, and in a standards complient way, that their web benchmark is
seriously old news and that Linux is the fastest web server on earth with four
processors (in spite of Microsofts assertations that Linux is not SMP
scalable), etc, ad. nauseum...

  BTW, Slackware 8.1 CD's are available upon request for 25 cents each, free
if you bring your own CD.  E-mail, call x8361 or visit me in my office (rm.
S-120) for more information. KDE 3.0 is very nice, you should try it today.

                                                                - Steve