Re: Glass Houses..

  • From: Neil Doane <caine@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 20:15:06 -0600

* M.K. Chatterji (chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx), on [07-16-02 19:23], wrote:

> As legal counsel to the class action suit filed by Mac lovers
> everywhere against the _original_ ad hominem attack, to wit:
>
> ".. so people forward it along happily as proof of their Macinrighteousness.."

*bzzt* Thank you for playing...

Demonstrating that people forward along a story based on its hype-fluffed
byline rather than its scientific merit does not mask the logic or divert
attention from the argument that a story is designed to be forwarded by
people based on its hype-fluffed byline rather than its scientific merit.

In fact, we like to call that evidence.

Would you care to rebut that Jerry looked up the study, studied carefully
its scientific merit, and decided that their methodology proved
conclusively the opinions expressed in the story and then, in an effort to
enlighten the list with irrefutable and valuable scientific evidence,
forwarded on the story?   If not, then we, as counsel for the defense,
urge you to save your money and reconsider your suit.

YOUR ad hominem attack went something like this:
        SPEAKER A: "It's wrong to murder someone."
        SPEAKER B: "How can that be true?! YOU murdered someone!"

Notice how the argument itself "It is wrong to murder someone" is diverted
cleanly away and the attention is focused on the speakers qualifications to
make such a statement?  This is how an ad hominem works, the idea is that
listeners will focus on speaker B's qualifications to make the statement,
rather than the logic of the statement itself.

HTH. HAND,

Neil

Confucious say: "My name is actually spelled 'Confucius'."