Re: Chips (was Re: heh, heh. i better not show this article to my

  • From: Hunter <hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 102 10:45:49 -0500 (EST)

> Cool.. (or maybe not... sorry bad joke.)
>
> So does it really have water cooling like the guy at that site said,
> or is it that electronic refrigeration wafer they use? (Forget what
> that's called, they were selling various sizes at the last hamfest I
> went to. Change polarity and it becomes a heater.)

You're thinking of a peltier device.
(http://www.coolworks.simplenet.com/thermote.htm)

The AthlonXP can be run with a normal heatsink/fan combo, but many people run
a water-cooler system just to be cool (no pun intended) and because they are
overclocking thier chips.

> Now I hear Intel has their stuff at 3 GHz ready to go.  I wonder how
> they cool them. (?)

The P4 is actually very thermally efficent(sp). A fairly normal sized heatsink
and fan is sufficient.

> Meanwhile IBM has their low-power copper and germanium chips that
> ought to turn things up a whole notch or two.

Plus, AMD's experiments with Si-28 (a purer, thermally better Silicon isotope).
http://www.theregus.com/content/archive/15249.html

--
Steven Hunter  | hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"HEY! Check out these crescent fresh skulls in my salad!" - Sifl & Olly