Chips (was Re: heh, heh. i better not show this article to myson!)

  • From: "M.K. Chatterji" <chat@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:12:56 -0500

>Boy Chat, you've fallen behind the PC curve... :)

Yeah really. I'm just a damn bureaucrat now..

>The AthlonXP is AMD's
>latest comsumer CPU. It runs from 1.3 to 1.667GHz, and supports 3D-Now!
>Pro and SSE1 instruction sets. It uses a 133MHz, DDR external bus (two
>bits per cycle). The XP is labled not by it's Hz rating, but by a number
>derived from a synthetic benchmark that compares performance to the Intel
>P4 at various speeds. This is much like the old Cyrix 6x86 chips "PR"
>rating.

Cool.. (or maybe not... sorry bad joke.)

So does it really have water cooling like the guy at that site said,
or is it that electronic refrigeration wafer they use? (Forget what
that's called, they were selling various sizes at the last hamfest I
went to. Change polarity and it becomes a heater.)

Now I hear Intel has their stuff at 3 GHz ready to go.  I wonder how
they cool them. (?)

Meanwhile IBM has their low-power copper and germanium chips that
ought to turn things up a whole notch or two.

-Chat