Re: A fort-night in the life of the 3|_iT3

  • From: Steve Baker <ice@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: technocracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2000 19:43:44 -0500

Hunter <hunters@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
> http://www.securityfocus.com/focus/ids/articles/kye/motives.html?&_ref=1372367410
>
> (Note the zero at the end which wrapped to the next line.)

  Notice how easy it is to fix that in Jove. ;)

> This is scary, hilarious, and disturbing all at the same time.
>
> That a couple of idiots who think they're "k3\/\/|_" because they can't type
> properly, can root-hack a system without even having to know basic shell
> commands disturbes me greatly. What's even more disturbing is that many
> would-be sysadmins aren't much smarter than these uninformed hAk3rZ.

  Face it, the reason they do it is because it's probably the only thing
they can do with a computer.  Learning to use a computer for something
productive is hard, cracking is easy.  Plus that feeling of self-worth
they'll never know from writing good code or whatnot is nice to have, and if
you have to get it from fellow losers, that's what you do.

  One thing that amuses me is how many find what they're doing amazing,
considering how stupid they are.  I for one have watched stupid people
manage to use computers for years.  Cracking tools have good documentation
and are for the most part, written well.  Using them is often no more
difficult than using any other unix command.  You're confusing the users of
these tools with the tools authors, who are sometimes, much smarter than you
and me.  Often these tools aren't written with malicious intent either but
instead to prove specific vulnerabilities.

> It would seem that the hackers seems to be out pacing the hackiees by a good
> margine.

  These hackers rely heavily on sifting through thousands of IP's to find
the one ripe machine in the bunch.  There should be technical fixes to that,
such as disabling port scanning through the ISP's network, disabling routing
of spoofed packets, etc.  Without those techniques, these crackers would
have almost no chance of finding nearly as many potential targets.

                                                                - Steve