[TechAssist] Re: was I wrong with free trips, helping seniors?

  • From: "fremur01@xxxxxxxxx" <fremur01@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 18:31:25 -0700 (PDT)

John,

I had a recent monitor call that was quite an eye
opener. Recently I invested in a newer phone system
that screens and routes calls along with clearly
stating minimum on site service charges (which is $45
by the way) etc. Anyway, so I get a message one day
from this man who needed a monitor fixed. It was dead,
and belonged to his daughter.

The message was along the lines of "My screen is dead
and I don't want to put over $45 in a monitor?" So me
trying to at least follow-up spoke with him called and
explained that most pc monitors are not worth the
trouble to fix, especially if under 17".  Trying to be
a good Samaritan I remembered having a few "test/spare
15" monitors" and offered to do a home service call
and swap out the old one for the $45 fee. He agreed to
that, got to his daughters house, (public housing by
the way)...installed the unit and removed the old one.
No complaints, he was rather pleased....

It gets better...the other day his daughter calls with
a generic "I have a few questions...please give me a
call " message.  Turns out this cheapskate was griping
because the screen had a few scratches and it was hard
for her to play games...Holy Moly!

I practically gave them the monitor for free! What
would a tow-truck driver do if a stranded motorist ran
out of gas, he gives them a couple of gallons to get
vehicle started?then have them gripe about whether it
was name brand gas?

Anyway, this last customer rubbed me the wrong way to
say the least. I've always heard that beggars can't be
choosey or something along those lines but that took
the cake. Techs, Go with your gut feeling in the
future when it comes to cheapskates. Let them know the
charge upfront and bill for your expertise!!

Fred
MTS Electronics
Fayetteville, NC
fremur01@xxxxxxxxx