[TechAssist] Re: pop up commercials

  • From: "Lawrence Tucker II" <kc4iai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2002 21:04:38 +0000

///  You may be mistaking the address bar on IE or other browser as the
source of these ads. Free websites pay the freight with either banner ads or
pop up ads. Some stick both on.

The address bar on top of the browser window is a bitmap and you can put any
bitmap image there even animation. AOL and other ISPs put "sponsored by AOL"
there and that bitmap appears even though the source of the pop up is the
"free" page you are accessing.

Yes there are ad killer programs. Some work, some don't. It is possible for
the ad to "repop" with each page load if blocked or for a window to appear
to ask permission.

Some freeware sofware has banner ads and if the pop up killer blocks those
your freeware program  may, (repete may), not work with the killer in place.

KC4IAI in Buhl Gateway to the University of Alabama