[TechAssist] Re: ctc187CL3 Regulator

  • From: "Gemini Computer & TV" <geminitv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2003 12:02:36 -0500

The original in the set was an STK730-150 and was RCA part# 223948. Now if
you order the 223948 you will receive the replacement STK730-030. See the
following:

Studying the Sanyo STK730 Regulator IC Family

Many manufacturers use this IC by version for the primary low voltage
regulator device in their switched mode power supplies found in automated
office products, CRT and CTV products. Within these chips are the provisions
to supply power switching, error detection, amplification, and over-current
protection for the circuits of this self-excited semi-regulated switching
regulator. This allows external circuits to be designed with fewer necessary
components. In addition with the inclusion of MOSFETS for its
power-switching element there is the advantage of allowing switching
frequencies higher than those available for devices incorporating bi-polar
transistor arrays.

This device is a twelve pin Sip that is contained in a 46.5 mm wide by 25.5
mm high package with screw mounting provisions. The input pins are separated
by an intentional space in lieu of pin 10. In addition pins 8 & 9 connecting
to the power switching MOSFET's drain are internally tied together as are
pins 11 & 12 on it's source tied together. Pin 3 is Ground and may be tied
to the substrate case in some versions. Many times it has been noted that
these devices are extremely hot during normal operation. That can be
explained since the maximum recommended substrate  operating temperature is
105 degrees Centigrade or 221 degrees Fahrenheit. You probably won't be
holding your finger on these devices. Although one significant difference
found by versions of this device is power capacity one other observation
allows us to further separate them into two categories. That's design AC
input voltage without considering the STK730-130 & 150 version made
specifically for Thompson.

85 to 132 VAC                                                            170
to 264 VAC

STK730-010    6 amps           10W                      STK730-060   3 amps
110W

STK730-020   8 amps           145W                    STK730-070   5 amps
180W

STK730-030   10amps          180W

STK730-080   6 amps             210W

STK730-040   12amps          210W                    STK730-090   8 amps
280W

STK730-050   15amps          280W

When these devices are separated as above it becomes obvious they were
designed with their area of likely operation in mind. In Europe standard AC
voltage delivered ranges from 110 to 240 VAC at 50 Hz whereas in North
America it is 115VAC at 60 Hz.

Article compiled from information found in specification sheets from Sanyo

The above information appeared in a recent issue of Watts Current should
anyone find it of interest.

Any one can be replaced by any one under it

STK730-130 105Watt
STK730-010 110W
STK730-020 145W
STK730-150 170W