[TechAssist] Re: What is best way to cut Fresnel Lense?

  • From: Philstv@xxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 21:45:29 EST

We cut our own screen protectors and ocassionally we have to cut the fresnal
and lenticular sheets in a pinch. We use a scoring blade in a utility knife.
About 4 passes seems to do the trick, then we "snap it" using the edge of the
table we have set up for just this purpose.
Works great!

Also, remeber when cutting the fresnal, to cut it evenly on all four sides.
If you have just a little to cut (less than say an inch), it doesn't show much
in the picture quality.

Phil Solarz
RAC - National Product Service
Phil's Electronics
C.E.T. GNN3799 - FMIC
734-718-0301

In a message dated 3/17/2005 2:27:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
teltek@xxxxxxxxx writes:
Run a strip of 1" Masking tape on each side...Then you can use Sharp
scissors to cut down the center of the Masking tape..Easier then cutting
it under water. ;-)

-Ed-

Gary McCartney wrote:

>Probably a table saw set up to normally cut large sheets of plywood
>would be the best (do you have any cabinet makers nearby?) Alternately
>you could use a sabre saw but I would think that to prevent cracking the
>plastic you could sandwich the plastic between sheets of thin plywood
>along the edges that you cut.
>

>Gary McCartney
>
>McCartney Electronics
>Guelph Ontario Canada
>Est. 1984
>email: gary (at) number63.ca
>

>Ron Miller d.b.a. Country TV wrote:
>

>>I know it must be cut "even" on all sides, but what method ( type saw or
>>tool) to use.
>> Have a 60in screen (4x3) need to cut to fit a 53in ( 19x9) set.Thanks
>>Country TV
>>Ron Miller
>>Inez, TX. 77968

-