[TechAssist] Voltage Rating of Resistors

  • From: Bil Green <tv.vcrrepair@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ".TECHASSIST @ freelists . org" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 05:22:06 -0700

If anyone is very familiar with the voltage ratings of carbon
film resistors, I could use some help.

I would like to know if the Max. Overload Voltage of carbon
film resistors (this is 2 x times the working voltage) would
apply in this instance:

I would like to use three 1.8k, 1/2W resistors* in series
with a 1700VDC supply to charge a 0.5uF capacitor. It will
fully charge in approx. one second.

* 1/2W carbon film resistors are rated at 350V (working voltage)

I realize that this is not exactly a surge condition, however
the voltage exceeding the rating of these resistors would
only exist for about 1/2 second (and would be below the Max.
Overload Voltage of the 3 resistors wired in series).

This is to be used in a magnetic pulse generator in which the
capacitor discharges into a coil once per second (one second
to fully charge and a very small fraction of one second to
discharge).

This instrument would only be used for a few minutes per day,
and must be reliable.

I will be ordering some 1W resistors (500V rating), but have
a couple units that need to be shipped out on Monday.

From what I've read, it's common for engineers to not consider
the voltage rating of resistors when designing circuits, so I
don't feel negligent, since I am doing the best I can at this
time.

Bil

PC 1000
Mammoth Lakes, CA