[TechAssist] Re: UPD---2nd request. PTK169PAAS..Shutsdown.

  • From: Paul <dntwntv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 16:26:02 -0800 (PST)

Jeff you have my sympathy. Glad you found the problem. Sounds much like the
Mitsubishi I have been working on for a couple of weeks off and on. I haven't
found the last couple of problems yet. But still searching. I can relate to the
$2.00 an hour.     Paul
Intrepid Video Support <support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:I think I found the
problem. Disconnecting J1903 from the audio board and the set fires up fine.
Found U1902 shorted 1, 4.(TDA2052)
Gonna pick one of these up tomorrow and hope for the best..
Many, many of you sent me troubleshooting guides, advice and Mr. Larkman
suggested the audio board in the
beginning. I've never had a problem on the audio board on this chassis and
thought I was disconnecting it
all this time(the two connectors near the Audio jacks).
Thanks to all of you..way too many to mention.
Here's what I found prior to going to the audio jacks..I have no idea how this
all happened..some
coincidence.
1. First, the HV block was arcing at the Flyback lead.
2. Planned to replace the power supply parts, since this set had the original
parts...replaced them all.
3. Replaced flyback..old one rang good, but had a pin hole 18 months ago I
covered with HV putty.
4. Replaced CR4118..tested fine.
5. Replaced the power supply parts again, assuming I had a bad part.
6. After the last bout of suggestions, found the resonator area looked a little
damp. Unsoldering, I could
smell it...replaced resonator and the cap beside it.
7. Removed CR4119, CR4120(I think)..sit right below the power supply
transformer, beside each other. These
two had definite leakage.
8. Now, all the wave forms in the power supply looked fine and micro voltages
were fine. This is when I
saw where the real audio board was.
9. Removed both connectors and set fired up fine. Replaced the one(leaving
J1903 off) and set still fired
up.
10. Checked both IC on the heat sink and found one shorted 1 and 4..comparing
to the other one I knew this
wasn't right.
I'm surprised a bad HV block lead me to the audio board, but I hope to finish
this set tomorrow morning
and deliver to a patiently waiting customer.
I think I made about $2. per hour on this one.

Jeff Dougherty
Intrepid Video TV/VCR
263 S Front St
Steelton PA 17113
fax...717-564-4952
www.intrepid-video.com www.tech-repair.net

From: "Intrepid Video Support"

Still working on this, can not figure out why it is shutting down as HV builds.
Would a defective vertical section cause this set to shut down?
REG B+ is 170 in standby, drops to 162 when I press power..is this normal on
this set?
Schematic shows Reg B+ <72-A>, Not sure what that means.
I've repaired many of these with a splitter, flyback or replacing the parts in
the power supply.
I've done all this and set still shuts. I've replaced all the caps, the boxed
caps in front of the HOT,
CR4118(tested OK), U4101, Q4101, Q4401..and all the caps. Checked all the
diodes and resistors and can
find no problems.
I'm running out of time on this one....Does anyone have any idea what I may
have missed?
Thank you.

Jeff Dougherty

http://www.tech-assist.org and select "Login Problems?".