[TechAssist] Re: Thomson ICC7 purple flash in CRT

  • From: "C&W Electronics" <c_w_electronics@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:20:08 -0600

After only 40 years, your symptom indicates a cracked CRT. Just disconnect
the CRT socket and see if it still shuts down. You may have to disconnect
the anode lead also, as the HV may try to arc to the other CRT pins.

Also get more history on the set. See if it has been dropped? If not,
further investigation may be needed to discover the reason, such as excess
HV or heat from Yoke arc. Of course it won't be worth repairing.

My 2 cents.

Good luck,
Paul W
C&W Electronics