[TechAssist] Re: Technics - Integrated Amplifier - SU-V98 - Powers Up - No Output

  • From: William E Miller <prototech@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 18:11:44 -0500

Gary's tip is probably dead on. It's probably the IC, and of course lots =
of
soldering, including the input RCA jacks / grounds.

The output IC can indeed be shorted without blowing the fuse. The short
doesn't have to be across the supply line(s), after all.

You can check for DC supply levels on the output lines of the IC. Follow =
the
leads that go to the output relay or the big air-core coils / inductors.

Sometimes an output IC will have a fusible resistor feeding the supply to=
 the
preamp. If present, that resistor may be out even if the main supplies ar=
okay.

> David, found this:
> =

> TECHNICS      SUV98KM1        no power or output      replace shorted ic501 =

> svi3206d power amp, r701 47/1/2w, resolder jack packs
> Gary McCartney

> > Hello All,
> > This unit turns "on", display is present and I can select different i=
nputs
yet there is no output. Main output IC is one of those SVI-3205 (replaced=
 by
SVI-3206), I've worked on a couple of these in the past, one where the ou=
tputs
were blown (this caused main fuse to blow), the other unit required exten=
sive
resoldering. In this case I don't hear the speaker relay engaging, this s=
hould
occur a few seconds after power "on". I've resoldered all questionable ri=
ng
cracks in and around power resistors, diodes, etc. and still the relay do=
esn't
engage. I could use a service manual to further debug this problem, unles=
s of
course one of you have experienced this same problem, please do tell.

William E. Miller, ASEET
prototech@xxxxxxx
Indiana USA