[TechAssist] Re: Sony Unusual Shutdown SOLVED!

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2001 19:42:19 -0600

This is really regarding the use of used parts for repair purposes, but I
didn't change the subject line to maintain continuity.

I, too, use used parts (when necessary) for repairs, but more than just
semiconductors.  Power resistors (Who can stock them all?), transformers,
video heads, even tuners.  Those parts are listed under parts, but
followed by (used) and N/C under price.  There is no reason to make it a
big issue.  Have never had a complaint.  As far as warranty goes, though
my warranty is posted at only 30 days,  I replace any failed part I
replaced (new OR used) for a customer with no labor up to six months
after the repair.  This is unwritten and at my discretion, but again, no
big deal.

Very few of us live in areas where repair parts are locally available.
We perform our service in places where we rely on distributors in far-off
cities where we must meet minimum billing conditions, pay for shipping
and handling,  and depend on delivery systems to receive our orders.  It
takes time to make up the order, place it, and stock the parts.  All of
this must be passed on to the customer if we intend to stay in business.
For someone to say it is unethical to use used parts is probably said by
someone who works AT a repair center, not by someone who has to make the
bottom line.  It is, of course, (IMO) unethical to charge a full price
for a used item.  This may be controvertial, but I would see nothing
wrong with adding, for example, 15 minutes labor rate for the time to
remove a tuner from a chassis to put into a set.  Still, no charge for
the tuner, but time was used to obtain the part.  This may make the
difference between a repair and a non-repair.  Nobody wins in the latter
case.

I've gone on a limb to give you my opinion.  Food for thought.

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services
3034 Gulf Breeze Parkway
Gulf Breeze, FL  32561
850-934-8324 (Voice) 850-932-0819 (Fax)

---------------

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 17:46:16 -0700 "Bill McFarland"
<billmcfarland@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> I use used parts all the time (only semi-conductors)....However, I
> NEVER
> charge for them I always tell the customer. and extend my normal 30
> day
> warr. to 60 on that part and will change it for cost of part only.
>
> I think its a good way to speed up the turn around time. And as long
> as your
> honest with the customers they don't seem to mind.
>
> Bill McFarland
> DMC Electronics

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.