[TechAssist] Sharp AL-1540C Digital Copier/Printer/Scanner

  • From: gulftech@xxxxxxxx
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 19:27:43 -0500

Friends,

Hopefully, this will be informative to all of you.

I have a large, commercial copier that had finally reached the end of the
line.  Takes up an enormous amount of space in my home office and have
made over a million copies, I think.

Anyway, I replaced it last week with the Sharp equipment mentioned in the
subject line.  It is a beauty.  It is a B&W laser copier printer, at 15
copies per minute.  Reduce/enlarge 25% to 400%.  Has automatic document
feeder--30 sheets.  Will do invoice, letter, legal, envelopes,
transparency, or card stock.

I'm not trying to push this thing, just enough to give you the idea.  I
am well satisfied with this equipment.  Cost at Office Depot was $450.00.

Here is the kicker.  It comes with, as the manual says, a "starter" toner
cartridge.  Have found no mention of the expected number of copies this
"starter cartridge" will make.  Of course I realize that would depend on
the black density per copy.  I was back at Office Depot today for another
item.  Out of curiosity, I ask for the cost of the replacement toner
cartridge, Sharp # AL-110TD.  I think he told he $119.00.  I was so
shocked, I didn't write it down.

I suppose I should not be shocked.  I had an ink-jet printer whose
replacement ink cost was nearly equal to the price I paid for the printer
with ink cartridge.

I know that some firms recharge (refill) toner cartridges.  I tried that
once myself with an Epson AL-1500 laser printer, but it didn't work.  I
took toner from my Sharp commercial copier and put some in the cartridge.
 That cartridge cost was over $150.00, if my memory is correct.

One more thing.  I found (after buying the AL-1540C) that color scanning
was not possible with the normal parallel printer cable, only with a USB
cable.  That cost me an additional $30.  That is only found by reading
the manual  (or maybe it was on the install disk).  Glad my computers
have the USB port!

Final words--I promise.  This is a fine addition for the office and at a
great cost.  Laser printers are a much better buy for most of the things
I need, but this one (and probably all) have hidden costs that need to be
examined and factored in.

Regards,

Ken Smith
Gulf Technical Services