[TechAssist] Re: Rca CTC-169CL5 lightbulb placement?

  • From: "Damon" <DAMON101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Dec 2002 08:51:45 -0500

The TV should stay on, the micro looks at the 9V supply from the SMPS which
is created from the 14V source (CR4118). This supply drives the horiz osc in
the video jungle, so it's monitored, but then I think the vert circuit is
monitored also....since it's supply comes from the IHVT, it could possibly
shut down. Check for H drive at the Horiz Base or the Horiz drive transistor
with the bulb connected, if so then you know that part of the circuit is
working at least. Of course the original complaint is the HOT gets munched
rather quickly, so the important thing to monitor is the loaded B+ which
should be 143 - 145V. That will isolate the problem to the power or Horiz
output side.

I'm betting the Horiz output side is at fault. After verifying the B+ is
good, I'd reattach the output Transistor, hang my scope on the collector and
fire it up, hoping to see the retrace pulse without blowing the transistor
again. A single raggy looking pulse (not multiple pulses) has always led me
to the retrace caps, especially if the rag is on the left-leading side of
the pulse. A really low pulse or wide pulse would point to the retrace diode
or the IHVT, and multiple pulses generally point to the IHVT.
A bad Splitter will pull down a pulse, as will a bad CRT, but I'd have that
section of the system completely disconnected before I'd run these tests,
and add them on as I proceeded.

Damon Brunger
damon101@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Telrad Electronic Services