[TechAssist] Re: RCA G27211WK , CTC159L took 220V surge, need parts ID

  • From: "Electric Medic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2005 23:29:38 -0400

Ed and all: The rectifiers and B+ are running now since I changed the big
resistor and fuse and HOT. The rectifiers were not open or shorted. I just
get Tick, Tick, tick until you unplug the set. I was just wondering why Phil
and WinStips shows that weird HOT part number and my chassis didn't since it
is on my bench now.. I put a D1879 in mine but was wondering what the manual
says. If anyone can tell me for sure what the HOT should be I would
appreciate it. Although, I know that is not my only problem. This very old
lady wants this old console fixed for sentimental reasons and I was just
wondering if it had similar problems as the 169 when a HOT shorts. Very
seldom on a RCA do I see that big white resistor open and the HOT shorted on
the same repair at least from the CTC169 on. Usually on the 169 when the
white resistor is open you have chopper problems and the reg IC and caps.
And if the HOT is short then you have swollen blue caps. But this set
combined all failures and it looks similar to the 169. Before the CTC169 I
am not familiar with hardly at all. Our town replaces sets long before that.
I see very few 169's anymore except PTV's. This is a 1989 CTC159. This is my
first 1980's set all year I think.

Perry Bower
Electric Medic
"It's Cheaper to Keep Her"