[TechAssist] Re: RCA CTC177BP2, questions about the pincushion capacitor

  • From: Bill Grabowski <bgrabowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jul 2004 20:11:01 -0500

On th CTC187 I'd go over the horiz driver transformer solder connections
and the CTC177 with the bad critical safety cap is pretty common taking
out the HOT and only exact replacement RCA HOT's seem work trouble free.
Just my two cents...............

Bill Grabowski
Triangle Appliance
Kenosha,WI   53142

Kevin wrote:
> Here is one for you RCA experts out there.  Set came in with shorted
> HOT, D1885.  Replaced same with exact replacement that had lighter and
> different white printing on the case of the transistor.  Set fired up
> with HV and HOT instantly blew.  Replaced with C5297 and set came on
> this time with washed out picture with retrace lines and severe
> pincushion problem on the sides.  The picture also filled the screen
> slowly from the sides, making it appear to have a voltage regulation
> problem.  The width would also vary when the screen was adjusted.  Pin
> one of the STK measured -40.3 volts, well within specs.  Not a voltage
> regulation problem.  Found and replaced the pincushion capacitor, C4407,
> a 47nF blue cap that was open and bulged.  All problems go away.
> FLABBERGASTED.
>
> Now my question is two fold:  Would this one pincushion cap cause all
> these problems including causing the HOT to short?  And could my
> original HOT that I installed been a fake?
>
> I have a second RCA set (two in one day), a CTC187CN3 that had a shorted
> HOT as well, a BUH517.  I found a bad connection on the same pincushion
> cap (this time a 41nF cap).  The customer also complained about having
> trouble getting the set to come on, and then when it did, the video
> would go off and on.  So far it is working fine on my test bench with a
> new BUH517 installed and the bad connection repaired.  Could this same
> cap have caused these 3 problems as well?  Thanks for listening.
>
> Kevin Wilks
> Kevin's TV & Video Repair
> Penticton BC Canada
> kevintv@xxxxxxx