[TechAssist] Panasonic TVCR 20" PV-C2022 intermit. picture,fix

  • From: Philip Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 11:37:56 -0400

Tapping chassis caused the picture to black out.I thought it was the
vertical IC at rear,but noticed it  did not seem too bad in tape
mode.Intermittants are hard to pin down symptom-wise.
I narrowed it down to the tuner/modulator (ENG36709G). Very hard to
access bottom of main board,completely covered by plastic shell.
With my trusty Wizzard rotary tool (Dremmel) and my small circular saw
blade I cut access holes under tuner and vert. IC. Removed tuner, opened
and totally resoldered all lugs,pins,grounds.Reinstalled. Resoldered all
vert output IC pins.
Unit now is fixed.Tuner was most probably culprit.
I have used my cutting tool to save major labor and hours of
disassembly.Very descrete cuts on bottom,like ortho-scopic surgury.
Phil Bader
--
Philip Bader
Jan Phyl TV Inc. (estab. 1976)