[TechAssist] Re: Panasonic TH-42PHD5 plasma, comes on for 5 seconds, turns off, UPDATE.

  • From: Kevin <kevintv@xxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2005 17:34:02 -0800

I just got back from the service call on this plasma set.  After placing
the unit face down on a beach towel, I removed the back and found one
fan that did not spin when the power was turned on.  I measured the
voltage going to the fans and it dropped from 13 volts to 7.7 volts
after about 2 seconds and then the set shuts down after about 5 more
seconds.  I tried disconnecting the one bad fan, but the set did the
same thing.  I'm guessing with the fan disconnected the shut down
circuit thinks there is now an open fan and still goes into shutdown.  I
am going to replace all 4 fans because a second fan does not spin
freely, and if 2 are failing the other 2 are probably not far behind.
The only problem is the fans are $70 each Canadian.  The customer spent
$5500 for it used 8 months ago, so I don't think he will mind the cost,
it=92s a plasma afterall!

I think these plasmas are more durable than I was led to believe.  This
plasma has a dent in the back metal cover--it has already been through a
pretty good trauma, and survived.  Plus the customer transported it on
its back in his Suburban when he bought it used.  I am still glad to
work on it in his home and not my shop.  =20

Kevin Wilks
Kevin's TV & Video Repair
Penticton BC Canada
kevintv@xxxxxxx=20