[TechAssist] Re: Need sony part #

  • From: "Jeff F" <jlfonz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 22:45:33 -0600

If it is one of thoses that you are supposed to use a tool---forget the
tool.  They don't work--at least it never has for me.  Push in on the wire
and hold it in while pulling the rubber boot up a couple of inches.  The
whole trick to getting these out is to NOT pull on the wire.  After the boot
is up (you can let go of the wire)  Spray freeze spray all the way inside
for at least 2 seconds.  Firmly grab the wire and push in--twist 90
degrees--and lift out.  DO NOT force out or this will bend the prongs.  If
you feel ANY resistance--push it back in and twist it slightly--and keep
doing this until it comes out.  Since I have started doing it this way--I
have not had a single battle of the cord (knock on wood).  Once you force
the wire out at all--it forces the prongs out all of the way and will never
come out in one piece.  If you get to that point you might as well give it a
good yank (making sure not to pull the CBA with it) cause you could fight
with it for hours after that, just to yank it in the end.  It will still
work after words, but you'll want to turn it upside down (or throw it across
the room) and get the piece or pieces to fall out.  Might need a magnetized
screwdriver to coax it out.  With good luck only one of the prongs will
break off then you're in like flint, otherwise you might try some high
voltage putty, or maybe some wraps of black tape to keep the wire all the
way in before pushing the boot down.  If you have one prong left make sure
to push it ALL THE WAY IN then twist 90 degrees to get it to stay (or order
a new one)

I know there are people here that have struggled with the removal of these
before.  I haven't seen it posted for a long time so I thought I'd post it
for those struggling.

TV Doctor
Avalon, Wi