[TechAssist] Re: Need Help With Magnavox Television

  • From: "C&W Electronics" <c_w_electronics@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2002 18:48:27 -0600

Terry,
From your symptoms, sounds like a shorted crt. Look in the neck of the tube,
when it's arching on the anode, see if you have any blue arching or sparking
in the neck. If so, the crt is shorted. Also disconnect the anode lead and
put the lead in a styrofoam cup or glass container and locate it away from
the chassis, to prevent arching to the chassis. This may keep it from
shuting down(clicking). Then you may be able to turn the sound down and
check out the rest of the set.

Good hunting.
Paul W

From: t-warren@xxxxxxxx
To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [TechAssist] Need Help With Magnavox Television
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 20:48:34 -0700

This is my 2nd time posting but, since you guys helped me out a lot with
a Philco TV I'm working on, I figured I'd give this one a try...

Here's what I'm working on now:

Manufacturer: Magnavox
Manufacture Date: January 1983
Model #: RC5266PE02 (floor console model)
Serial #: 24379034
Chassis #: 25C109-BA

I had bought this TV (for $15) to strip for parts but, even the vertical
deflection parts seem to be different from what's in my Philco so, I
decided to see if there was any way to get this Magnavox going instead...
It was an impulse buy but I figured "What the heck!"...

It may, however, be a lost cause...

Here are the symptoms:

When the power cord is plugged in, the audio kicks in at full volume and
a rather impressive lightning storm shoots out from under the anode
cap... After unplugging the speakers to save my hearing, I tried again -
after the initial lightning storm, the high-voltage shuts down and starts
"clicking"... The tube doesn't power up and the front panel controls are
nonresponsive... This is as far as I've gotten with the diagnosis...

Initial observation: Someone has tried to work on this before but I don't
think anything was replaced - I can't find any components on the boards
that look visibly damaged and all the wiring harnesses appear to be
plugged in correctly...

I'm not actually a TV technician but I am an electromechanical technician
so, I'm not new to the electronics field and, having refurbished computer
monitors, I am well aware of the high-voltage danger...

If anyone can point me in the right direction as to where to look for an
answer, it would be greatly appreciated...

Thank you for your time...

Terry Warren
t-warren@xxxxxxxx
SUBJECT field to the address above.