[TechAssist] Re: Mode switch for these combos fix and partnumber and cross

  • From: "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 10:07:11 -0500

Ken,

I haven't run into many of these newer units that have been discussed so I
certainly don't profess to know all about them...I was just relaying my
experience.  I will certainly be cautious of them when they come in.

The method that I use is a #2.5 pencil sharpened then flattened on the end
so that the tip just fits the path of the contact.  I use electroclean
solvent with the pencil and it cleans and poliches the track without
scratching.  I extend the contacts a bit, treat with some silicon based
tuner spray (similar to the Channel Master product mentioned...wish they
still made that stuff) and reassemble.  I have also used Deoxit(cramolin)
and it works great but is more expensive and I am not sure that it is really
any better when you can get to the contacts.  If the contacts are intact I
see no reason to replace them.  If anyone figures out what is really going
on with these new units let us know.

Leonard G. Caillouet
Service Manager
Electronics World