[TechAssist] Mitsubishi VS-507CA fold-down projection TV, 1987 model, red gun flaring

  • From: Kevin <kevintv@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TECH-ASSIST <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 12:35:05 -0700

Is there a circuit fault that could cause just the red gun to flare (to
the right of people's faces and objects) in this 18 year old set?  The
tubes test OK on my B&K, and I couldn't rejuvenate them like I normally
do.  When I pressed the rejuvenate button the needle moved up and stayed
there for 30-40 seconds and did not move back and forth like it normally
does after a few seconds showing that it is working.

If it is the red tube, what causes it to flare?  I can understand when a
picture is dark that the cathode is covered in oxide, and that
cleaning/rejuvenating cleans off this covering.  But what goes bad in
the tube that causes it to flare?  Thanks.

Kevin Wilks
Kevin's TV & Video Repair
Penticton BC Canada
kevintv@xxxxxxx