[TechAssist] FIXED, JVC HR-S5800/6700 S-VHS VCR, dark picture with wiggles on composite and S-Video outputs.

  • From: Kevin <kevintv@xxxxxxx>
  • To: TECH-ASSIST <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 12:55:41 -0700

The symptoms would go away after about 5 minutes of turning the VCR on,
making me think it was 1 or more bad caps.  I checked all the caps right
next to the composite and S-Video inputs and outputs and found C3, C10
(2.2uF @ 50) and C9 (1uF @ 50) were bad.  This did not fix my problem.
I then replaced 7 red caps (0.47uF @ 50:  C30, C38, C39, C46, C47, C79,
C87) around a 44 pin SM IC, which restored the picture to normal.  All
the 0.47 caps had ESR's above 300 and 4 of them had no capacitance at
all.  Normally I would not have changed these low value caps as they can
have very high ESR values and still work fine.  But this VCR is my own
and I wanted to keep it so I persevered.

Kevin Wilks
Kevin's TV & Video Repair
Penticton BC Canada
kevintv@xxxxxxx