[TechAssist] Re: Kenwood subwoofer model sw-32ht

  • From: "OrpheusComputing.com Repair" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 03:06:35 -0600

That .2" isn't going to amount to anything in most cases.
The cutout holes are very flexible in their sizes.  You could
probably have a cutout hole an inch smaller than what may be
specified and it would still work OK.  As long as the frame
has enough 'wood' to 'hold onto' when mounting it, that's
fine.  Inversely, on the small side, as long as the basket
can freely clear the cutout hole, that's ok too.

If your current speaker does have a long throw, then yes,
that is certainly something you DO need to duplicate on any
potential replacement.  As long as you get a decent subwoofer
driver that states "long throw" and has a good size magnet,
you should be fine.  The magnet is the most expensive part of
a speaker and a big magnet is not going to be on a cheap
speaker.  Look for an Fs for a 12" sub driver of 23hz or
less, on a 10" sub driver look for below 29hz.  Also one with
a rubber surround would be of better quality usually.  If it
does not state 'long throw' exactly, look for something like
"bumped and vented pole piece" or a line similar to that, and
also compare the Xmax values between prospects.  The larger
the better, this is the distance the cone can travel, known
as the cone excursion (as in "long throw").  Anything over
.5" (12.5mm) is a good bit.
-Clint

God Bless Us All
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://OrpheusComputing.com
http://ComputerHardware-ConsumerElectronics.com
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: 209-882-9602
TechAssist Administration
http://tech-assist.org
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
4orpheus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  (alternates)
orpheuscomputing@xxxxxxxxx
(PLEASE include our previous correspondence
if replying to this email!!)