[TechAssist] Re: KP-53S35,coolant damage,need used PS/HV-conv pcb

  • From: "Leonard Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 06:54:11 -0400

Actually, coolant that stays on a board a while can cause a great deal of
damage.  The coolant is ethylene glycol and glycerin.  The eth gly is a very
good solvent and dissolves crud on the board and absorbs water from the air,
forming a corrosive goo that will eat up traces on boards and legs on
components, as well as provide a conductive path for shorts.  Both
components of the coolant are water soluble and are easy to clean off, but
the stuff gets into some boards and under SMDs and it may be hard to get it
all off.  Usually it is not.  I have repaired most sets by cleaning and
repairing boards, a few have presented problems later.  I think it is a good
idea to explain the possibility of future problems to the consumer and place
the decision and responsibility on them.

Leonard Caillouet
Electronics World
Gainesville, FL
352-332-5608