[TechAssist] Re: CTC185 Temp!

  • From: John Mielke <maintv2002@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 13:34:36 -0700

The contact type reads about 10 degrees higher than the infra-red type
but I do not know which is correct.  But it is helpful for comparison
purposes.  I think about 150 degree is the hottest you can hold your
finger on without much pain and 165 will burn your finger.  With the
contact type I put a drop of heatsink compound on the tip to help the
heat transfer.  You must hold it on for about 30 seconds to get the
reading where the infra-red is instantaneous. I test them all with the
TV on.(Not a problem with the infra-red type) A heatsink will cool 20
degree in 1 minute when turned off.   Either costs about $100 to $125.
It is better to read the heat sink and not the transistor itself, that
is usually hotter, the plastic part of the transistor does not transfer
heat well.  I test them all the same, warmed up for at least 15 minutes
with a normal picture and with the back off.  It seems like the newer
sets are running the transistors hotter than before.
John.

--
John Mielke
Main TV