[TechAssist] Re: Acoustic Research speakers AR93Q, repair opinions please

  • From: "Leonard G. Caillouet" <lcaillo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 12:33:15 -0500

Gary,

We replace surrounds all of the time.  We get the surrounds from Dalbani for
under a dollar each.  They only have standard sizes, however.  You can get
kits for much more from someone, can't recall the company now, if you need a
custom size.  I'm sure someone on the list recalls the company.

We use Wellbond, a water based glue.  I like it because it dries slowly and
if you have to adjust the position of the surround you can before it sets.

Always check the voice coil travel in the gap to make sure that there is a
location where is travels freely.  Some voice coils get trashed and you can
never get clear travel.  If this is the case you need to have the whole
thing rebuilt-send it to Speaker Exchange in Tampa.

It is a tedious job but not really difficult.  There are a few tricks.
First, glue the surround to the cone, carefully centering it useing the edge
of the cone as a guide.  Let that dry overnight.  Second, use a weight to
push the cone down until the spider is stretched tight but not too much.  I
use a smaller driver turned facing down onto the coneto avoid crunching the
dust cap.  This step causes the spider to center the voice coil in the gap,
which is what most people have trouble doing.  Now, if you have the right
size surround, the surround will be pulled slightly over the inside edge of
the basket, lifting the outer edge of the surround so that you can run a
beed of glue under it.  Let the glue get just slightly sticky, remove the
weight and the cone will come up.  Let the glue set a bit more and check the
travel of the coil in the gap and make sure it does not rub. You might need
to shift it slightly to get clean travel.  Some voice coils are tight in the
gap and it can be tricky.

Test after the glue sets and before applying the strips to the surround.

We charge $40.00 Labor + parts +materials per speaker.
Leonard G. Caillouet
Service Manager
Electronics World
Gainesville, FL