[TechAssist] Re: Acoustic Research speakers AR93Q, repair opinions please

  • From: "OrpheusComputing.com Repair" <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 01:14:47 -0600

Gary, MAT and parts Express has the surrounds.  One place (I
think Parts Express) has the complete kit with glue, etc, but
it's way overpriced.  MAT has the glue really cheap (big
bottle cheaper than the kit with only a swab of glue).   MCM
sometimes too has the surrounds.  You want to get a butyl
rubber surround if possible.  Lasts much longer and sounds
better too.

It's very time consuming to do this the RIGHT way.  As long
as the 'spiders' are in tact, the voice coil should remain
centered within the magnet gap.  But, if you are too far out
of centered alignment on the surrounds, a portion of the
voice coils *could* rub the magnet.  Time-wise, it would be
cheaper to get new woofers.  Don't have to get AR
replacements either, they can be pretty expensive.  As long
as the basic Thiel/Small parameters are close, & the woofers'
upper cut off frequency is about the same, you'll be OK.  If
the speakers were still intact, with an audio generator you
could get the T/S parameters, but in their condition that
doesn't look possible.  You'd probably have to get them from
AR.  If the impedance is not within less than an ohm (better
if < .5 ohm), you should use power resisters to make them the
same as the originals or else the crossover frequencies can
change too much (Therefore of course the overall sound can
change).  Also taking impedance readings off the speakers
themselves is not accurate in many cases.  The impedance
should be stamped on them.  I have seen impedance vary by
more than 1 ohm (from what is measured to what is stamped on
them).  There are all sorts of speaker ratings....not just 4
& 8 ohm, but 4, 5.5, 5.6, 6.8, 8.x, 12, etc, etc.  When all
is said and done, measure it at the final output speaker
terminals and make sure it's not much less than the original
speaker setup was.  If it's less, you'll have more power, BUT
if it is too much less, the amp could blow.  Usually for home
systems, 4 ohms is about as low as you want to go.  Should be
5+ to be on the safe side to account for fluctuating
impedances Vs frequencies.

Some of these old AR cabinets DID have proprietary woofers
AND frames, so you need to look closely at that first.  I
can't tell from the photo if the lower woofer is a special
one or not.  IF it is PERFECTLY round, and of a standard
dimension, a typical woofer would fit.  The special AR
woofers had some 'flat spots' on the woofer frame, they were
not perfectly round.  Also some were of unusual dimensions,
so standard surrounds would not work for these.  The only way
to know is to get the exact dimensions of the surround
replacements.  If you're lucky, Parts Express may be soon
having another AR speaker buyout.  They have these pretty
often.  If not, a great brand for the price is Peerless &
Dayton.  Better still is Vifa, Seas, Morel, Selenium, but
they can get really expensive.  Right now Parts Express has
sales on Selenium and Vifa.
-Clint

God Bless Us All
Clint Hamilton, Owner
http://OrpheusComputing.com
http://ComputerHardware-ConsumerElectronics.com
sales@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Fax: 209-882-9602
TechAssist Administration
http://tech-assist.org
techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
4orpheus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  (alternates)
orpheuscomputing@xxxxxxxxx
(PLEASE include our previous correspondence
if replying to this email!!)