[TechAssist] Re: AKAI Multisystem DP67TXV

  • From: "J Silverman" <greentron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 20:02:19 -0500

I have serviced some AIWA multiformat vcrs that had the ability to convert
the various format tapes to PAL or NTSC, but all the other multiformat vcrs
I have seen required a multiformat monitor to view a tape recorded in some
other format than the monitor on hand.
. Some multiformat monitors have an autoselect feature but others require
you to manually select the monitor format. There are also some "black boxes"
that can convert PAL to NTSC and vice versa. The cheaper ones usually
require a monitor that has a vertical hold control. Hard to find these days.
I didnt understand the comment that a NTSC vcr would play a PAL tape
properly to a PAL monitor, because the PAL chroma subcarrier is at 4.58 MHz
and the NTSC chroma subcarrier is at 3.58 MHZ. The vcr restores the chroma
subcarrier by hetrodyning it up from the 677 KHz recorded carrier on the
tape by beating it against a VCO and comparing the upconverted subcarrier
against a 3.58 MHz crystal. The difference frequency between the crystal and
upconverted subcarrier is converted to a DC voltage to correct the VCO
frequency, so the output chroma subcarrier is servoed to 3.58 MHz. A 4.58
MHz crystal would have to be used to restore the PAL chroma subcarrier.
Jerry Silverman
Greentron Inc
4 Newland Ave
Greenville SC 29609