[TechAssist] Re: 7p6033w phillips ptv 775 projectiuon tv hot repeat failure

  • From: Phil Bader <tjanphyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 12:10:17 -0400

This post was for a PTV750. Might be similar chassis: read on:

Perhaps this?

  Symptom: Repeat shorting of Q906 and opening of R934. Q906 is the High
  Voltage output transistor and R934 is in series with Q906 (both on the
  Signal/Deflection module).

  CAUSE: In several cases, the cause has been a shorted blue CRT. Often the
  faceplate of the CRT is cracked at one of the mounting ears, which
  drastically reduces the vacuum inside the CRT leading to HV short.

  SOLUTION: Check for a cracked blue CRT if Q906 is found shorted on the
  Signal/Deflection module before replacing Q906 or installing a new
  Signal/Deflection module. Replace the CRT if it is cracked. Remember to
  replace R934 if Q906 is shorted. Note: Fluid leaked onto the Combo block can
  also cause Q906 to short.  Also, if the second anode lead hole in the anode
  cap of any of the 3 CRT's is not filled with RTV, the high voltage can arc
  out of the unsealed hole and blow Q906.

  or this?

  Symptom:  Dead Set; Q802 and/or Q906 shorted.

  Cause:  High Voltage Arc from the CRT Anode Caps

  Solution:  Replace Transistors Q802 and/or Q906.  Inspect the CRT High
  Voltage Anode Caps for RTV voids.  Place a bead of RTV (RTV part number
  483531057158) around the edge of the CRT High Voltage Anode Caps.

  Bob Waterman, CET® #RI-28
  Master Technician License #9109
  Service Manager / Parts Manager
  Gemini Computer, TV, & Security Alarms