[TechAssist] Re: 60 Cylce Hum in Video in a new house

  • From: "George" <grndmstrg@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 21:25:00 -0700

Not sure which cable end you was removing so this might not apply. Check the
video output at the receiver with a scope. Make sure to turn up the scope
gain for good visual. If hum is present  then check input cables one at a
time by disconnecting and replacing while still observing scope at the video
output. If hum drops out when an input is removed install an isolator on
that input. In the event none of the inputs affects the hum the receiver
could have bad dc voltage filters.  If you remove all input cables and hum
disappears then you have a ground loop problem in which case you could use a
isolation coupler. In the case of possible ground loop verification you may
have to scope output with the video cable still fully connected.

George
Afana Electronics
Moreno Valley, CA
grndmstrg@xxxxxxxxxxxx