[TechAssist] Re: 220v I thank you all Merry Xmas

  • From: "LeRoy Westlund" <llw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 12:13:21 -0700

Villy,
I don't think your survey was very accurate.
In the first place,...only a FEW members particapated in this discussion.
I for one,...deleted 90 % of the posts, as did many of the other members.
I found the discussion kinda irrelevant to Electronic repair.
I learned a long time ago, that being a good Electrician, and being a good
Electronic technician, are TWO different things intirely.

A good basic knowledge of OHMs law, is sufficient for a TV Tech. Around
here, you need a license to do house wiring. On the other hand,.....very FEW
Electricians are able to even repair their own TVs when they break down.
MORE knowledge is required to stay current with TV repair, then staying
current with House wiring.

I got my basic electronic training in the US Navy. They tought us enough
about electriciity, to keep us from getting ourselves killed. In the
Navy,...they called an Electrician, a "ONE wire". They called the Avionic
techs, a "TWO wire".
We all know that High voltage with Low current will only knock you across
the room,...while High Voltage with High currant will grab onto you, and
kill you.
This is important to know, when working on Microwave ovens, but,.. while
working on TVs is NOT as dangerous. The most important thing about working
around electricity, (if you don't want to be shocked),...is,....don't come
to work with a "hangover".
I can't remember the last time I got shocked. I think it was back about
1972, when I was trying to remove the 3A3 rectifier tube from inside the
high voltage cage of an old Magnavox tube set. It knocked my hand
back,...and many times I cut myself on the sharp edges of the cage. I
learned, to discharge the area good before trying that,...but,...like I
said,...watch that "Hangover", and you will be safe !

However,....I DO agree with you that the requirements for TV repair are much
higher, and harder to meet, in your country,...then in the USA.
But,...for the most part,....it is most likely, just extra work, and
unnecassary education requirements. I built, and wired my own TV
shop,...with only a small amount of advice, and supervision from a local
Electrician,...who by the way,..I fixed ALL of his TVs many times over the
years.

There was a another local electrician who was the mayor of our town. He
worked for the Power company. He didn't know Jack Shxxt about fixing TVs
either. He wanted me to teach him. He was too stupid to learn.
So you see,....these are 2 (TWO) seperate professions in this
country,....and I'm glad of that,...cause I don't know everything about the
propagation of electricity,  and I don't want to have to learn anymore then
is necassary for me to be a good Electroinc tech.
Which my limited knowledge has served me WELL, over the past 31 years in
this business. Thanks for you comments.

Best Regards,
LLW

LeRoy Westlund
Westlund TV & Electronics          " It's such a pretty world
93 North Main                                          today !....
Centerfield, UT 84622-0087           Look at the Sunshine. "
Ph./Fax  435-528-3822                               :-)
mailto:LLW@xxxxxxxxxx