[team2039] Rules clarifications

  • From: John McInerney <johnfm2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: team2039@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2012 21:02:39 -0600

Hi Team,

Great work today in analyzing the game and coming up with great strategy
ideas.  The active participation by students, mentors and parents was
awesome to see.  We are off to a great start.  During the strategy
discussions, there was some questions about the rules.  Here is my
understanding of the questions and the related rules to help answer them.

1) During hybrid mode, can the robots leave the Key?
- according to G16, the answer is Yes.
- The term "Alliance Station" can be confusing.  It refers to the end of
the court where our drivers are located.
- The robot may not touch the carpet on our Alliance Station end of the
court and so it can move around as desired on your hoop end of the court
during hybrid mode.  G17 mentions player must remain in assigned starting
positions but this does not apply to the robots.
- So the Kinect can be used to potentially guide the robot to pick up balls
on the carpet due to missed shots or help guide the robot to get balls from
our bridge or the center bridge and attempt shots.

2) While balancing on the bridge, can we attach ourselves to another
alliance robot?
- No (for now).  G26 says we cannot attach to another robot.  But it
appears to be meant to avoid doing something bad to your opponent.  We will
need to get clarification on this to see if we can do it to robots in our
alliance.
- there are other ways to control balancing on the bridge so we can work
around it.

3) Do Inbounders need to release balls through the slot if one of their
alliance robots is not present to receive it?
- According to G31, the answer is Yes.
- Each Inbounder can hold 2 balls.  The three Inbounders combined can be
holding on to 6 balls without releasing them.  If they have 6 in hand and a
ball is scored and enters their corral, they must release one of the balls
immediately through the slot or over the wall, and then quickly grab the
new ball in the corral.
- Basically, each alliance can hoard 6 balls at a time.  That is a lot to
hoard when only 18 balls are available.  (ball count - 2 in each of the 6
robots and 2 on each of the 3 bridges)

4) Can a robot enter the opposing alliance's alley?
- Yes.  The only game rule that mentions alley is G28.  It says our robot
cannot touch an opponent robot that is in contact of its alley.  The
clarification for the violation says "*for purposeful, consequential contact
*".  I would interpret "consequential" to mean if you are in the their
alley and an opponent robot is in contact with their alley and they bump
into you, you get a foul and they get 9 points :(
- So you can enter the opponents alley, but with caution.  The opponent's
defensive robot can score an easy 9 points by touching our robot in their
alley.
- I would assume an opponents robot cannot push our robot into the alley in
order to force the foul.

Thanks,
John