[team2039] Plans for the rest of the first week

  • From: John McInerney <johnfm2000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: team2039@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2012 06:38:59 -0600

Hi Team,

It is amazing we went from the problem definition at Kick Off to a full
robot design concept this quickly.  The presentations last night were
excellent at conveying your ideas and thoughts.  Your teamwork is paying
off.

On Thursday, sub-team assignments will be available.

The SOP plan is to break off a separate group to create the systems design
document, but I see this is not the right time to break off since the
design groups need a couple days to flush out their high level designs
first before we can lock in on hardware and control needs.  We will tweak
the SOP for next year based on what we experience this year.

The first thing each sub-team should do is develop a plan/schedule for all
the work to be done.  A rough plan should be created for all six weeks and
a detailed plan should be created for the next 7 days.  First brainstorm
and create a quick list of all the tasks your team will need to address for
your design.  Include the design work to be done, plans for prototyping
(very important for some operations), what you need for the GE design
review, what needs to be focused on first in order to get parts on order,
etc.  It is a good idea to update the plan every 3 - 4 days.

Side note: One thing to remember is emails to our team2039 freelists email
address is available for the public to view so don't share confidential
team data in your emails to this email address.

My thought is during the next three days, Thursday through Saturday, the
mechanical design sub-teams will meet to start working on detailing our
their designs.  Members of the programming/electrical sub-team will meet
together to develop a plan/schedule and then branch out into the mechanical
sub teams to help with designing and understanding the control hardware and
software needs.  The programming/electrical sub-team will pull that
information together into the systems design document.  Hopefully Saturday
morning, the programming/electrical sub-team can have a completed first
draft of the systems design document ready for review.  The
programming/electrical sub-team will meet with the mechanical sub-teams one
at a time on Saturday to finalize the section of the system design that
applies to their portion of the robot operation.

The animation team has a web cast training session provided by Team 250
they can view on Thursday from 6:45 - 8:00 pm.  The smaller conference room
in Eiger Labs is reserved.  Hopefully the 3D Animation Challenge will be
announced soon.

Goals to shoot for this week:     no pun intended ;)

1. Lock down off-to-shelf components to be purchased.  It is beneficial to
get orders in asap.  With 2500 robotics teams looking to order the same
types of parts, some of the suppliers get a big backlog.  Banebots and
AndyMark last year had a 2.5 week delay in deliveries last year.  If we
don't get orders in by Saturday or Monday, we may see a delay in shipment.

2. Finalize the systems design document by the end of the day on Saturday
in preparation for the GE Aviation design review on Monday at their
facility.

3. Mechanical sub-teams should have high level detailed drawings and
sketches ready to present to GE Aviation on Monday.  In some cases, the
sub-teams may have several options being considered for part of their
operation.  Have drawings and sketches to present for all options being
considered.

4. Identify the members of each sub-team that can attend the GE Aviation
design review and which members will present for each sub-team.

Regards,
John McInerney