[TCUG] Re: Puffin Crossings

  • From: shirleyreynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 12:18:25 +0100

In an attempt to address all the different issues that have been raised
recently ........

Costs:-

In Warwickshire, we currently have a civils "call off" contract, which
means that we can give a design to one of three nominated contractors one
week, get a price back the next week, and be on site the week after (in
theory!). We have to use this method for all of our LTP funded works. It's
a good idea in theory, but comes at a premium - the average civils cost is
GBP 26000 for a four pole Puffin with anti skid surfacing and SD equipment.

We tender separately for the signal equipment, which usually costs
approximately GBP 13000.

Indicators:-

We routinely put Puffins in now, but are receiving complaints from drivers
being distracted by the red / green men - do they think that they are
suddenly in France?

We mount the push button unit at 1 metre, a separate nearside aspect at
1.65 metres and angle both at 30 degrees.

School crossing patrols:-

We proposed a Pelican crossing for a school crossing patrol site, but our
safety engineers requested that we change to a Puffin because of the
possibility of the school crossing patrol person still being on the
crossing after it has returned to vehicle green. We agreed because of the
extendable all-red period, which should mean that the crossing person
should be out of the way before the vehicle green starts.

Our school crossing patrol supervisors think that we are conspiring to put
them out of work by putting crossings in through the Safer Routes to School
initiative, which then means that the patrols are not replaced when they
become vacant.

Education:-

We agree that there should be a national campaign to educate the public
(and councillors!) about Puffins through the use of TV adverts and a
leaflet which better reflects the actual equipment used!

Final thought(!):-

I think it is very interesting that the most number of messages are
generated by discussions about Puffins!

Regards

Shirley Reynolds
Traffic Signals Engineer