[TCUG] Re: Controlled crossings near roundabouts

  • From: mervyn.hallworth@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: tcug@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:08:31 +0100

We have a handful in Leeds, but they vary in distance. The closest which
comes to mind is about 15 m (urban, fairly slow dual carriageway) and
seems to work well,  but the roundabout itself is particularly small and
slow. On the other hand, a few years ago when we installed one on a faster
dual carriagway (at some 20m or more)  we ended up pulling it back to
about 30m following concerns from the Police (not accidents). I think the
siting is very site/speed dependant, but I'm sure you will find others
around at rather less than 30m which work well (Sheffield or Manchester
possibly?).
I'm sure I've seen some close examples in some authorities with louvres on
the green aspects - installed in order to help reduce any impression that
the green is giving total priority. Such measures seem complementary to
making the give way signing clearer. In parts of Australia they go one
step further - they remove the green aspect altogether and simply use the
red & amber aspects, and hence seem able to get closer to the roundabout -
so maybe louvering is the pragmatic UK alternative.

Mervyn
Leeds 2476750

The information in this email (and any attachment) may be for the
intended recipient only. If you know you are not the intended recipient,
please do not use or disclose the information in any way and please
delete this email (and any attachment) from your system.

The Council does not accept service of legal documents by e-mail.