[tccrockets] Rock sim

  • From: "AiRobert" <airobert@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tccrockets@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 09:21:32 -0800

I ran into something interesting while doing some Rocksim work for my L3, a
ten inch Thumper.
http://stores.whatsuphobby.com/-strse-10/Polecat-Aerospace-10%22-Thumper/Det
ail.bok

http://www.rocketreviews.com/file-4841/mod_polecat_thumper.rkt

The max acceleration was showing 900+ f/s/s which is ~30g, yet it wasn't
clearing the rail at a high enough speed for stability (50f/s.) Normally 10g
is plenty. So I reran the sim with bigger and smaller motors and watched the
details at launch. I couldn't find any acceleration over 180f/s/s (5g using
M1230)

It turns out that the acceleration of 900 f/s/s was actually the
deceleration when the main chute popped out at 800 feet. Once the drogue
chute was resized the numbers started making sense.

WOW who woulda thunk.

RZ