[tcb] Re: who needs a single cab

  • From: "Denis" <coocoo@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:15:46 -0600

I am not saying anything against the owner or how much work he put into it, I
am saying that it is unreasonable to most people to pay $15K for a car that, as
much as we love them, are still VW busses AND still need work. Those will
probably sell, but not to any of us because we are builders.

To me, the whole deal about VWs is that they are a cultural icon, a piece of
funny history. They are not safe, or particularly well built. The fact that you
can usually repair one on the side of a desert highway may be their chief
advantage. And they are, mostly, cheap to own and maintain. They are also
aggravatingly unreliable and will take you right to the edge of setting it on
fire and being done with it.

We can decorate, customize and polish them, but, to me, they are still a VW,
and not a Corvette. If you take away their quirkiness and inexpense, their
availability to common tinkerers, they are no different than any other
collectable.Paul could take all the money that he has spent on the Zone and buy
the shiniest most perfectly restored or customized bus ever made (and probably
have enough left to move to Hawaii), but he prefers to continue to tinker with
the Zone.

I have wanted a '56 Ford pick up ever since I lost the one I had in high
school, but the budgets on building that car are unrealistic. By the time it
looked good and ran well I could easily spend $35 - $40K. That is unreasonable
for me. And not enjoyable.