[tcb] Re: Yet another 23 Window paint question...

  • From: sammie smith <bugcollections@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Dec 2009 06:58:51 -0800 (PST)

James:  Sent it to the list in a kodak gallery photo album about 3 weeks ago.
It has some good pictures of the 55 23 window with the original red showing
through the roof which is brown, just as Will says.  Unfortunately I don't have
any pictures of the door jambs.  The guy who owns this bus lives in some area
of DFW and I think his name is Elliott but I am not sure.  Someone on the list
in the DFW area should know him and you can go look at his bus.  Isn't this the
same guy that owns the polar silver show winning oval?

From: Will <evil.scientist.boo@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, December 2, 2009, 8:24 AM

Check out the pics of the 55 at the Fort Worth show.  Original paint bus with
sealing wax red under the brown.

Sammie took quite a few of them.  Personally, i'd go with Pepto Bismol Pink but
that's just me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre

Conrad Klahn wrote:

Interesting. Much different than my 65.

On my 65 bus they masked off the bottom - painted the top and interior, then
masked off the top and did the bottom color. I disassembled a '67 and it was
done that way also.

I passed your question over to the VintageBus list and I'll let you know what
the 'elders' say. :-)

Julie? What about your deluxe?

On Dec 1, 2009, at 8:37 AM, James Dwan wrote:

... I know, I know paint it already! Right? So my dilemma is what to do about
the door jambs and inner cargo door.

We looked at a 58 Mango panel and noticed the top color on the "A" pillar stops
below the hinge on the front door on the body like the 13th photo from the
bottom on this link:

http://www.holygrailgarage.com/1959_23_Window_Bus_.html

The wheels are red on this one but I thought they were white other than that I
think this looks like a good representation of what it should look like. Other
than the headliner. Mine was originally cloth.

Here is another from Lenny's shop:

http://www.classicvws.com/images/daren-999.jpg
http://www.classicvws.com/images/daren-9992.jpg
http://www.classicvws.com/images/daren-99992.jpg

Notice the red runs all around the door opening, is this correct? The other Bus
is white all around the inside of the door. I sent him an email but have not
heard back yet.

James