[tcb] Re: Thanks Paul for a great show

  • From: "Gerald V. Livingston II" <gvl2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:19:02 -0500 (CDT)

Rain Monday morning and I left my slider cracked open just a bit AND
left the sliding window on that side all the way open. Everything
within 6" of the door was wet. No problem, just my plastic boxes with
coffe stuff in them (waterproof) and -- damn, my shoes. If I had put
my shoes on the passenger side of the bus all would have been well.
But instead I got to do the cold squish squish walk Monday morning.
They were about beat up anyway so when I left to head to my nieces' in
Killeen I stopped at the first Wally-World and bought a new pair. I'll
just rotate those to "outside work shoes".
Sunday was an EXCELLENT night. Jerome and Nick and I just hung out.
Sorta sucked that Mark and the fire pit were gone <grin>. We were
going to use the bus belly pan that I had in my truck but couldn't
figure out a good way to add legs -- I also pointed out to Jerome that
neither of us had brought firewood so we'd have had to try to tie
bundles of dried grass tightly enough to burn more than 15 seconds.
As Paul said, while we sat there the deer kept wandering through the
park. They'd get a little closer and stare at us a little longer each
time they passed. I didn't see a buck but there were about 10 or 12
does and yearlings in the herd. Maybe a few less or more -- they
stayed pretty scattered out so getting a count was difficult.
Had a nice chilly chat with Paul. It didn't get as cool as it had the
previous two nights but not having the fire was noticeable.
I'll check the noise level on the generator/welder I'm planning to buy
and if it's acceptably quiet I'll trailer it in next year (assuming i
can get a hitch on the bus by then). 10KW should power most anything
for a LOT of people -- and we'll be able to weld up anything that's
broken too <grin>.
Breakfast Monday was bacon, egg, and cheese sandwiches made by Jerome.
Neat way to do it. Cook the bacon, pour off the fat, add grated
cheeses then add the eggs over the top of it all. The bacon and cheese
gets cooked into the eggs so you don't have three different items on
your bread all trying to slide apart.
We cleaned up a little after 11 am and headed out by noon. I went
south on 317 through Belton (stopped at the Wally-World on 317) and
picked up 190 West through Killeen. Met my niece at the Wally-World
parking lot in Copperas Cove and let her chauffer me onto the Post so
i wouldn't have to take the towed VW through the gate search -- too
much crap to unpack for a half day visit.
I got her wireless hooked up so she can actually use her laptop on the
internet then had her haul me back out to the truck about 6 pm.
I headed East on 190 and drove until about 9. Stopped at a rest area
on I 45 before getting to Huntsville because I didn't feel like
driving down 190 through the areas that still have no power in the
dark. Go back on the road about 9:30 this morning and drove back into
Silsbee where my "garage" is located.
Went to hook *MY* laptop back up to the net in the office and it is
suddenly not able to see any of it's network ports -- plugged my
personal desktop machine up and it won't power up at all. So, I'm
using my work machine and webmail to access my email for now. I'll
install my email client over here and use a floppy to copy the
settings from my laptop later and work on the computers when I get a
chance.
Went over and finished adding connectors to the turn signals on the
'66. Damn thing still won't start using the key so I need to look at
the starter -- much fun on a lowered bug. Bump starts just fine with
just me pushing and jumping in. I need a lift for stuff like this,
don't think it'll go on a normal set of short ramps.
I'll stick my pictures somewhere when I get a computer to play nice
again. Still have to move my stuff back into my office now that it's
all dried out.
Later,

G2