[tcb] Sparky's Revenge

  • From: "Ronnie Hughes" <y4s6wd5@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 21:37:42 -0600

I think Sparky is a little jealous of the new vanagon.

I haven't been driving him much in the last couple of weeks, but today I
decided to clean him up and drive him down to Rice University (90 miles round
trip) to pick-up some parts for my daughter's Ford Focus.

Everything is going well cruising down I45 at about 60 MPH.  My plan was to go
down I45 to Hwy 59, then to Rice Village.  If you have been through that part
of Houston lately, Hwy 59 is under construction and there are 3 lanes made out
of two, no shoulders, just barriers really close on either side.  About the
time the traffic starts getting backed up really bad, Sparky dies.  All the
gauges go off, the RPM drops to zero.  I try restarting and nothing.  I'm still
coasting so I tried popping the clutch and nothing but a HUGE backfire.  All
the little kids in the cars around are staring and pointing at me and Sparky.
I can already see the guy behind me getting pissed off.

Knowing how Sparky got his name, I reached under the dash and yanked real hard
on the fuse panel.  Wah lah, the lights come back on, Sparky starts back up and
were are cruising again.  I complete my little chore and head back to the
Woodlands.

Unless you have been in really bad traffic with a coasting, dead bus, you
cannot imagine how many things can go through your head in about 30 seconds.  I
was already thinking about pushing, calling Mark S, calling a tow truck, what
is wrong, how does an engine work, what can be

You win Sparky, I will lay under the dash for a few hours tomorrow just the way
I used to.  And yes, I will wax you, and yes I will adjust

Ronnie