[tcb] Re: Raby Motor

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 20:12:28 -0700 (PDT)

Not sure about the ignition problem but your starting problem may come from
having the float levels set to high. the fuel tank sits higher than the carbs
and they will gravity feed the carbs causing them to flood. Don't like
electronic ignitions. If VW was suppose to have them, they would have come with
them. Just my opinion---The Vanagon Guy

Denis <coocoo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Mine is a 1914 stroker. I built it to, at least try, to stay in the flow
with the Dallas freeways. The first one I paid $2000 and it blew up ( I
carry around the deformed piston rod ) I built the second one and it has
lasted almost 3 years now. I have lots of witnesses to the fact that I drive
it every day, it is my shop truck. I never hot rod, but on a hill or
carrying a big load (18 80lb bags of concrete and me ) it's real nice to
have the extra throttle.

OK here's a mystery, Dan and Katrina have been with me when this happens. I
can't use the Compufire or Petronics electronic points. I have actually had
them catch fire. Not when I hooked it up, which would happen when you turned
on the ignition, but later after about a week. More often they simply won't
let the engine start. If I pull the things out and put in points, the bus
runs like a Swiss watch. Dan and I struggled with my bus on the last campout
at lake Belton(?) and I have been running points since.

Sometimes my bus won't start if I have let it sit for a whole day. I think
it floods out and will start if I leave it alone for an hour or two.

I have dual Kadrons. Any theories?