[tcb] Popping out the Exhaust

  • From: "Ronnie Hughes" <y4s6wd5@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 13:08:32 -0500

Hey Mark S.,
I think I found my popping noise.

First I checked my valves like you suggested.
Then I tried to tighten all the exhaust fittings.
Checked compression - 120 to 125 PSI on all four. Plugs were black, but not
oily.
Still popping.
About to order a new Pict 34 and throw away the Dual Kadron set-up.
Went to the AJ Simms website and he referred to running lean causing
"detonation".  I don't know what that means, but popping sounds like something
detonating, so I adjusted the mixture out for more fuel and like magic, no more
popping.
That makes sense because it started popping after the trip to Eureka Springs. I
adjusted the carbs trying to improve the gas mileage.  I must have gone too
lean and I guess that causes - detonation - popping.

I guess I will see if that takes care of it or not.

Thanks,

Ronnie