[tcb] Re: Popping out the Exhaust

  • From: Mark Sawyer <mechmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:06:06 -0700 (PDT)

Well, I was close. glad you found the problem.
Dan Martin <danandkatrinamartin@xxxxxxx> wrote:Careful Ronnie, you keep it up
and you will be a Kadron Master.
Detonation is when the fuel and air charge explodes, NOT from the spark
plug going off but at some other place or time.
This explains it pretty well, (better than I can):

http://www.misterfixit.com/deton.htm

Way to fiddle man!

On Oct 17, 2004, at 1:08 PM, Ronnie Hughes wrote:

> Hey Mark S.,
> I think I found my popping noise.
>
> First I checked my valves like you suggested.
> Then I tried to tighten all the exhaust fittings.
> Checked compression - 120 to 125 PSI on all four. Plugs were black,
> but not oily.
> Still popping.
> About to order a new Pict 34 and throw away the Dual Kadron set-up.
> Went to the AJ Simms website and he referred to running lean causing
> "detonation". I don't know what that means, but popping sounds like
> something detonating, so I adjusted the mixture out for more fuel and
> like magic, no more popping.
> That makes sense because it started popping after the trip to Eureka
> Springs. I adjusted the carbs trying to improve the gas mileage. I
> must have gone too lean and I guess that causes - detonation -
> popping.
>
> I guess I will see if that takes care of it or not.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ronnie

Dan & Katrina Martin
1971 VW Bus