[tcb] Re: Not the Valves

  • From: Bob Perring <perring@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tcb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 Sep 2005 12:46:58 -0500

1st
Don't pay the ransom.
Throw the ransom note in the trash.
I am alive, and I escaped.

2nd
Denis is right on about the exhaust leak.
I bet it is the culprit.

Exhaust leaks would be my first choice "first" suspicion.

Find a steep hill to coast down, staying off the brake, and using 2nd or 3rd gear imposed upon your engine (high engine rpm) as the deceleration device?
If you have an exhaust leak, it will show up quite noticeably as backfiring or popping.

Head torque is also my second choice "first" suspicion.

Proper head torque practice, using proper tightening sequence, using ever increasing constant torque values until maximum torque setting for the studs is achieved all way around, is also very necessary to prevent the same symptoms occurring.

3rd
Mary Beth and I are missing BNNTA this weekend, but what else is new?
We missed everything else VW related this year.
The year has had it's demands.

Bob Perring

At 12:33 9/4/2005, you wrote:
I'll be stunned if I am right about the exhaust gasket, since I am just about the dumbest mechanic around. The only things I know about are the things that I have personally had to deal with and I know the sound and feel of blown ex gaskets. It makes my 1914 run rough with lots of vibration and backfires, especially whenever I downshift. It could have nothing to do with the headlights. Might I suggest a loose wire from your fusebox? (Another problem from personal experience)